March 16, 2016: Two female suicide bombers have killed at least 22 worshippers in a mosque attack during dawn prayers in the outskirts of Boko Haram’s birthplace Maiduguri. Additionally, there were 17 severely injured people who were evacuated to the hospital.
The attacks were very coordinated as one of the bombers detonated inside the mosque while a second waited outside and detonated as survivors tried to escape according to Abba Aji a civilian self-defense vigilante group coordinator at the scene.
The mosque is situated in Boko Haram’s stronghold of Umarari in the outskirts of Maiduguri city and is the command center of Nigerian military’s war against the militants. This is the first attack in the Boko Haram stronghold this year following a prior attack that used rocket propelled grenades and killed at least 50 people.
The Nigerian military has successfully managed to lock out the ISIS-affiliated Boko Haram militants from accessing crowded places as evidenced by the reduced number attacks on such areas. However numerous blast have been reported at roadblocks purportedly detonated once the bombers are cornered by the troops.
- Two Suicide Bombers Detonate Vest Killing Themselves in NE Nigeria Failed Suicide Attack EVENT SUMMARY Two suicide bombers in NE Nigeria detonated their explosive […]
- Nigeria Military Thwart Attack by 3 Female Suicide Bombers OSINT SUMMARY Nigerian soldiers on Tuesday thwarted what would have been a […]
- Two Killed in a Foiled Suicide Attack in Maiduguri, Nigeria A young suicide bomber and a local vigilante lost their lives in a foiled suicide […]
- Nigerian Troops Repel Boko Haram Suicide Bombers, Kill 6 Militants MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, 17/2/2017: Latest military reports from Nigeria indicate at least […]
- 2 Girls ‘Suicide Bombers’ Blow Themselves Up near Crowded Nigerian Market Two young girls possibly seven or eight year old died in an explosion in a crowded […]
- Asymmetric War, Niger Army Operations Against Boko Haram DIFFA, Niger, March 10, 016 The national guard of Niger continues with patrols […]
- Nigerian Army Kill 6 Boko Haram Insurgents in Borno State Nigerian Army killed six Boko Haram insurgents during a battle in Borno […]
- At Least 76 Starved Boko Haram Militants Surrender To Nigerian Military; Begging For Food And Water Maiduguri, Nigeria- March 2, 2016: Nigeria’s military has reported dozens of scrawny […]