BENGHAZI, Libya: 22nd February 2016, credible OSINT summaries reveal that military forces loyal to Libyan government on Sunday launched an operation pushing back Islamist fighters in several areas of Benghazi. The army forces also seized the strategic port of Marisa.
Corresponding reports indicate that Libyan National Army advances pushed ISIS militants leaving the government forces under full control of the town of Ajdabiya located some 150 kilometers (90 miles) south of Benghazi. Ajdabiya has been faced by rising challenge of ISIS militancy.
Since the death of Muammar Gaddafi, Libya armed factions supporting rival government in Tripoli grappling over power and share of the country’s oil wealth.
Islamic State fighters have taken advantage of the security vacuum in to expand their foothold in Libya. The fighters linked to the Islamic State largely control the city Sirte located to the west of Ajdabiya.
Benghazi which is Libya’s second-largest city has seen some of the worst fighting, with violence escalating when military commander Khalifa Haftar launched a campaign in 2014 against Islamists and other armed groups.
Recent reports indicate that Islamic State in Libya is heading south as U.S. continues to intensify it campaigns against the Islamist group. Libyan army advances comes two days after U.S. airstrike destroyed an Islamic State training camp in western city of Sabratha that left dozens of Islamic State fighters killed. Minimum civilian casualties were also reported.
- Special French Commando Forces Arrive in Libya To Support Army Operations in Benghazi OSINT SUMMARY Latest military reports indicate that Special French Commando Forces […]
- Islamic State Senior Commander Arrested in Northwestern Libya OSINT SUMMARY Friday 26th February 2016, a senior Islamic State commander […]
- Islamic State Build-up in Libya Pose Threat in Crisis Hit Country EVENT SUMMARY 4th February 2016, Libyan intelligence has warned of Islamic State […]
- Egyptian Warplanes Bombardment Kill 22 Militants in Restive Sinai Peninsula OSINT SUMMARY March 2, 2016, Military source in Egypt has said that nearly two dozen […]
- UK Troops Deployed To Tunisia To Bolster Libyan Border OSINT SUMMARY Britain has deployed a team of 20 soldiers to train Tunisia […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Suspected U.S. Drone Strikes Kill 12 Islamist Militants Including Top Leader in Yemen OSINT SUMMARY 4th February 2016, two suspected U.S. drone strikes have killed 12 […]
- Islamic State Cell Busted with Attack Biological Weapons in Morocco RABAT, March 4, 2016 Reports from Morocco Interior Ministry indicate that an Islamic […]