On Wednesday 11th May 2016, the African Union announced the extension of the mandate of its AMISOM mission in Somalia to May 3, 2017.
The decision made public means that the AU 22,000 strong peacekeeping force set to combat Al-Shabaab will remain in the war-torn country for at least another 12 months (one year).
The AU reached to the decision during the recently concluded 595th meeting of its peace and Security Council.
AU, a continental body has called on the European Union (EU) to continue supporting AMISOM mission and now as the country heads to the elections.
Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda have also been urged to honour their pledge to deploy air assets for AMISOM.
European Union which provides financial resources to covers troops allowances has committed Sh 7.9 billion Euros to cover remuneration payments for the next five months of this year.
- AU Criticizes The EU Allowance Cuts To AMISOM Personnel, Strategizing On Long-Term Funding Framework Highlights: 10th February 2016: the African Union has criticized the European Union’s […]
- Burundi & African Union Resolve AMISOM Salary Dispute Burundi and the African Union (AU) on Thursday 17/2/2017 reached an agreement on […]
- African Union (AU) Call for Additional Deployment of 4,000 Troops in Somalia The Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) for AU peacekeeping mission in […]
- EU Threatens To Cut Burundi’s Peacekeeping Mission In Somalia Funding; Pressure Government Into Dialogue March 29, 2016: The European Union has announced plans to cut back its funding to […]
- AMISOM Need 9,000 More Army Soldiers in Somalia The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) is in need of 9,000 more army soldiers […]
- Uganda Considers Withdrawing UPDF Troops From Somalia UGANDA'S UPDF EXIT IN SOMALIA In rather unprecedented move, Uganda is […]
- Review AMISOM Funding, Uganda now Wants 6th February 2017, Kampala: Uganda has called on the concerned partners to review the […]
- German Troops To Be Deployed For Military Missions in Mali and Somalia OSINT SUMMARY, April 14, 2016 German cabinet has approved extension of their […]