The Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) for AU peacekeeping mission in Somalia (AMISOM) during its 22nd meeting held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia called additional deployment of 4,000 troops in Somalia.
The Tuesday meeting emphasized on the urgent need for the UN and other international community partners to support additional 4,000 troops in an effort to boost the already force in Somalia battling Al-Shabaab terrorists.
They also asked for support on provision of rations, fuel, and medical, for a limited duration, to allow for the conduct of offensive operations, as a catalyst for AMISOM imminent draw-down from Somalia.
MOCC also agreed that the AU Commission should convene a planning meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia again not later than the first week of February 2017, to finalize the operational plan for the conduct of expanded offensive operations.
In a statement released by AU, MOCC reiterated the need for the continued and enhanced support to the Somalia National Army especially in preparation for the envisaged expanded offensive operations.
Chiefs of Defense Staff of AMISOM troop contributing countries (Ethiopia, Burundi, Djibouti, Kenya and Uganda) or their designated representatives attended the meeting, chaired by the African Union (AU) Commissioner for Peace and Security, Ambassador Smaïl Chergui.
Also presents at the meeting included the Representatives of the Somalia National Army, partner countries and institutions namely: the United Kingdom, the United States of America, the European Union and the United Nations.
- Review AMISOM Funding, Uganda now Wants 6th February 2017, Kampala: Uganda has called on the concerned partners to review the […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) Assessment on Somalia Mission OSINT SUMMARY The 18th meeting by Military Operations Coordination Committee […]
- Ethiopia To Deploy Additional Troops & Attack Helicopters To AMISOM MILITARY BRIEF Ethiopia revealed that it will send more troops and helicopters to […]
- AU Military Strategy Operations Committee Meeting in Djibouti The African Union Military Operation Coordination Committee (MOCC) met in Djibouti to […]
- UPDF Chief Visit Somalia, Calls for Speedy Security Sector Reforms The Chief of Defence Forces of Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF), Katumba Wamala […]
- President Museveni Visit Uganda’s UPDF Troops at Halane Military Camp in Somalia OSINT SUMMARY Uganda’s President Yoweri Musveni who had attended the […]
- African Union Extends Peacekeeping Mission in Somalia by a Year OSINT SUMMARY On Wednesday 11th May 2016, the African Union announced the […]