African leaders on Saturday signed a maritime deal aimed at boosting security off the continent’s economically crucial coasts.
The deal is aimed to shore up development by countering maritime crimes such as smuggling and piracy.
The African leaders met in Lome, Togo for the extraordinary African Union Summit on Maritime Security and Safety and Development in Africa on Saturday 15th October 2016.
Congolese President Denis Sassaou Nguesso hailed the African Union deal as historic while Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta said it showed that Africa is able to put together a continent-wide strategy.
According to Nguesso, the 43 nations adopted the bidding agreement that will see countries contribute a special fund for maritime security.
The maritime deal is designed to improve information/intelligence sharing between African countries, a weakness that smugglers and pirates have hugely benefitted from in the past, conducting their illegal activities and slipping between the territorial waters with little or no trouble.
The summit was attended by 18 heads of state signaling the importance the governments had placed on the need to counter piracy and other crimes in the Africa’s waters.
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta, Commander in Chief Of Defence Forces Attend AMISOM’s Summit in Djibouti AMISOM SUMMIT DJIBOUTI February 28, 2016, Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenya who is the […]
- Kenya and China Signs Security Deal Kenya inked the security deal with China. The deal will see Police units in Kenya […]
- Kenya and Seychelles Sign Trade, Security Deals Kenya and Seychelles entered into agreement to increase trade between the two […]
- AU Special Envoy for Somalia Francisco Madeira, Holds Security Talks With Jubbaland President Ahmed Madobe KISMAYO Somalia, March 15, 2016 On Sunday 13th March 2016, the Special […]
- Kenya, SA Sign Agreement to Counter Terrorism & Deepen Police & Defence Cooperation Kenya and South African made a commitment by signing agreement bound to deepen their […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Ethiopia To Deploy Additional Troops & Attack Helicopters To AMISOM MILITARY BRIEF Ethiopia revealed that it will send more troops and helicopters to […]
- Uhuru Leaves for Italy, to Address World’s most Powerful Leaders at G7 Summit President Uhuru Kenyatta, today, Friday 26/5/2017 has left for Italy where he is […]