At least 70 al Shabaab have been killed and 30 others arrested cumulatively in Somalia’s semi-autonomous state of Puntland in the past four days.
The fighting between the security officers and the militants came after over 500 militants arrived in boats, attempted to take over the Suuj valley in Nugal area on their way to the northern mountainous region (the operation base of ISIS-affiliated al Shabaab).
Security forces in Puntland, a semi-autonomous state in the north of Somalia have dislodged al Shabaab militants who attempted to increase their presence in the state by overrunning villages under the government forces.
The military forces have recaptured the Garacad town, Suuj Valley in Nugal area preventing the militants from travelling to the northern mountainous areas where the ISIS-affiliated al Shabaab faction has a base.
Over 500 militants who stormed the area are currently cornered and surrounded by the Puntland forces with another consignment pursuing militants who escaped.
They have recorded significant mileage with the recapture of Garacad town in the failed full-throttle attempts of the militants in asserting their presence in Puntland. The Puntland forces have been able to record significant gains with weapons sent from the federal government in Mogadishu.
Puntland and the larger northern Somalia regions have remained relatively stable during the conflict that engulfed southern and central Somalia. The increased movement of the militants towards the north is a clear indication of the effects of the onslaught against them in the south especially by the Kenya Defence Forces.
Al Shabaab in the south and central is crumbling and consequently trying to move the operation to the north which is mountainous and where they think there is less military offensive against them either from the Somali government troops or the AMISOM allied troops.
- Somalia Police Scale Up Security Measures in Jowhar Event Summary Somalia government police and soldiers launched an operation in […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper Says Homegrown Extremists Tops Terrorist Threat List KEY HIGHLIGHTS U.S. Director of National Intelligence (DNI) James Clapper has […]
- 20 ISIS-Affiliated Al Shabaab Members Killed By Puntland Forces In Suuj Viilage Northern Somalia March 17, 2016: Security forces of Somalia’s Puntland state have killed 20 al […]
- Fresh Fighting Between Puntland Forces and Al-Shabaab Militants Erupts in Dabakarale Village PUNTLAND Somalia, March 20, 2016 Military intelligence reports from […]
- Army Battles Boko Haram & Rescues Over 240 Women, Children in Northeast Nigeria KEY HIGHLIGHTS On Wednesday 23rd September 2015, Nigerian army embanked on […]
- Al-Shabaab Suicide Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device (SVBIED) Surge Foretells Strategy EVENTS SUMMARY On 22 August 2015 Harakat al-Shabaab al-Mujahideen's Istishhadyin […]
- Somalia National Security Chief Warns of Al-Shabaab & Boko Haram Sharing Tactics SECURITY BRIEF Somali’s National Security Chief General Abdirahman Sheikh Issa […]