March 29, 2016: 7 suspected Somali pirates are expected to go on trial in France in connection with a deadly 2011 hijacking of a French yacht in the Gulf of Aden.
The seven are accused of killing the sole male on board 'Tribal Kat' a catamaran water vessel and subjecting his wife to grave trauma when they kidnapped her before she was rescued. They are all aged between 25 and 32 years.
Investigators say the couple aboard the yacht, Christian and Evelyne Colombo, had departed the Yemen port of Aden in early September 2011, setting sail for Oman on a leg of a round-the-world voyage. Mrs. Evelyne Colombo was rescued by Spanish military that raided the vessel killing two of her captors and arresting the rest.
Christian’s body has never been recovered after the wife witness account that stated that he was shot and thrown into the sea.
Since 2012, there has been dramatic drop in in pirate attacks in the southern Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden attributed Combined Maritime Forces Operation as well as use of heavily armed private security operators hired by international shipping companies to repel attackers before they board their huge vessels.(sic)
- U.S. Court Sentences 3 Somali Pirates; 2 Sentenced to Life in Prison A U.S. court has sentenced three Somali pirates. Two Somali pirates have been […]
- 12 Somali Nationals Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Piracy OSINT SUMMARY On Thursday 11th August 2016, twelve Somali nationals were to […]
- European Union Naval Force (EUNAVFOR), Operation Atalanta in Somalia Extended until 31 December 2018 On 25th November 2016, the Council extended the mandate of the operation […]
- Somali’s Puntland to Improve Surveillance Following Weapons Haul Off Oman By Australian Navy PUNTLAND, Somalia March 16, 2016 Somali’s Puntland government […]
- Kenya Ask Help from France to Secure Regional Peace & Stability OSINT SUMMARY President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on France to support […]
- Al-Shabaab Arms Smuggler Arrested in Dadaab Refugee Camp DADAAB Kenya, March 14, 2016 A high ranking Al-Shabaab operative was over […]
- Germany, France Envoys Praise Kenya’s Security Efforts Germany envoy to Kenya Jutta Frasch has praised Kenya’s security efforts saying […]
- Germany Takes Command Of EU’s Somalia’s Counter-Piracy Operation Atalanta, Promises Enhanced Military Cooperation Highlights: Germany has taken command of the EU Naval Force Somalia […]